You’ve got the perfect paddleboard, now it’s time to invest in some must-have paddle board accessories! We’ve rounded up the best in paddles, floatation devices, coolers, and more.
Every expert paddleboarder knows that in addition to a steller board, it’s essential to stock up on the best paddle board accessories! If you’re just getting started, you may be intimidated by all of the choices out there. We’ve done our homework and picked out the best paddle boarding add-ons on the market!
The top must-have paddle board accessories include an anchor kit, floatation device, cooler bag, carry straps, a dry bag, clothing, a waterproof phone case, paddles, and more. Many of our favorite accessories will keep you safe and will make paddleboarding a lot more enjoyable. The better prepared you are on your board – and better equipped – the more fun you can have!
Paddle Board accessories also make great gifts for friends and family who are avid boarders. If you’re ready to stock up on some great accessories for your friends or yourself, we’re here to help.
Before we get into some specific products, let’s take a look at the different types of paddleboard accessories available!
There are several different types of paddles that you can use with your stand-up paddleboard. They are typically made out of materials like fiberglass, aluminum, and carbon. We personally prefer a good quality carbon paddle! They are lightweight, easy to carry and store, and are super easy to use.
- CARBON DESIGN – LIGHTWEIGHT & DURABLE: Made of premium quality 1.25mm thick carbon fiber composite shaft, and fiberglass reinforced polypropylene blades, this sup/kayak paddle is impact and erosion resistent, thus for great durability. It is perfect for beginner and intermediate kayakers/paddlers.
- MULTI USE FOR SUP & KAYAK: This 4-sections multi use paddle is designed to convert easily into a kayak paddle (2 drip rings included) or a sup paddle. The anti-twist clamp and locking pin system prevents loosening in the water. The paddle floats in both salt and fresh water(When the entire paddle is assembled), so no need to worry paddle falling.
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE TO DIFFERENT USE: Once assembled to a sup paddle, it can be adjusted easily from 68’’ to 84’’, to fit most paddlers with different use. Our recommended paddle length is your height plus 6-8” for SUP surfing, plus 8-10” for flatwater and plus 10-12” for SUP racing. Once assembled to a kayak paddle, the length of this oar is set at 89 inches/226 cm, so it could fit most people over 5’5″ with the common kayak width of 24′ – 28′.
- TRAVEL FRIENDLY: With the premium carbon fiber shaft, the total weight of the 4 piece is 44 oz; when assembled, the sup paddle weighs just 28 oz while the kayak paddle weighs 39 oz. When disassembled, the package size is 33”x7.2”, which is convenient to carry around.
- WHY SHOP ABAHUB: We’ve been manufacturing paddles for over 10 years. We know what we’re doing and we stand by our products. If you’re not happy with our products, we’ll offer you replacement or refund with “No Question Asked”.
Spec 1: Lightweight carbon shaft
Spec 2: Comfortable handle
Spec 3: Adjustable and travel friendly
This adjustable and lightweight carbon and fiberglass paddle is a gamechanger! This paddle also floats in both salt water and fresh water, meaning it’s almost impossible to lose track of in the waves!
It only weighs about 44 ounces and is able to be disassembled for travel. When you take it apart, you can easily carry it with you wherever you go. Plus, if you also love kayaking, you can adjust the handle to use with your kayak. Watersports lovers, rejoice!
You can use a good old-fashioned life preserver when you’re out on the water to keep you safe and sound. Alternatively, you can use something called a Personal Floatation Device, or, PFD. Not only are these devices a lot more stylish, but they also give you a lot more breathing room and are lightweight.
- Superb ripstop shell with fine nylon lining for comfort and durability
- Graded Sizing design offers contoured fit while providing more mobility
- Ergonomic WRAPTURE design provides a high degree of comfort and optimal torso fit
- Adjustable shoulder and four side pulls promote easy wearing for extended use
- Contoured padded shoulder strap with soft foam for effective buoyancy
Spec 1: Adjustable shoulders, 4 side pulls, and front waist buckle
Spec 2: Ergonomic Wrapture shaped torso wraps around the body
Spec 3: Large, top loading front pocket for secure storage
- U. S. Coast guard approved type V life jacket/personal flotation device (PFD) with type III performance
- Automatically inflates upon immersion in water or when the wearer pulls the “jerk to inflate” handle
- Lightweight, comfortable, slender design keeps you cool in warm weather
- Age 16+, over 80 lbs.
- Mfg Part 132000-500-004-15
Spec 1: U. S. Coast guard approved type V life jacket
Spec 2: Lightweight, comfortable, slender design keeps you cool in warm weather
Spec 3: Stretchable Flex-Back insert
You’ll also want to grab some paddleboard straps to make transportation easy! Paddleboards can sometimes be awkward and quite heavy to carry. Get your board from your car to the water with ease thanks to specially made paddleboard straps.
- V2 UPDATES- We recently updated our instructions and our paddle board strap. Our instructions are much more clear and the strap is now made of all metal hardware. Please note that the strap will not work with tandem paddleboards.
- 100% METAL HARDWARE: When you buy an authentic SUP-Now Strap, you are buying the only paddleboard strap accessory on the market that doesn’t use any plastic pieces.
- TRIPLE PADDED SHOULDER PAD: Our shoulder pad is made from soft and durable NEOPRENE for maximum comfort. The idea of these straps is to carry the weight of your board on your shoulder. We put a lot of time and effort making our shoulder pad FAR SUPERIOR to others on the market.
- TWO INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH VELCRO STRAPS: Not only does our strap have Velcro to hold your paddle, but the Velcro is so strong that you can now use your paddle as a handle.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY: If you make a good quality product, you should back it up. This is why SUP-Now offers a lifetime guarantee on everything we make. We support you for the life of your product from our headquarters in Granbury, Texas.
Spec 1: All metal hardware (no plastic!)
Spec 2: Triple-padded shoulder strap
Spec 3: Industrial strength velcro
To transport your board from the car to the boat or the water, you’ll need a top-rated carrying strap! Gone are the days of trying to balance your board on your hip (ouch) or tearing apart your fingers and nails trying to grip the side of your board (double ouch). This model by SUP-NOW boasts over 700 5-star reviews.
What you wear while you board may be the last thing on your mind. But – especially if you want to take your board out in the colder months – you need to dress properly in order to stay healthy. Much like surfers, you’ll want to invest in a quality rash guard or a protective t-shirt no matter what time of year you board. If you do enjoy wintertime paddling, you should wear a wetsuit. Your feet will thank you if you pick up a nice pair of water shoes or even some neoprene booties.
- LOOSE FIT — Designed with long-term comfort in mind. Stop tugging and grabbing at your shirt.
- LOOSE FIT — Designed with long-term comfort in mind. Stop tugging and grabbing at your shirt.
- LIGHTWEIGHT MATERIAL — Stretchy, comfortable spandex keeps you in the water for hours!
- DIVERSE PROTECTION — Harmful UV rays, jellyfish stings, fire coral – stay protected from them all!
- ANTI-CHAFE DESIGN — Flat-lock stitching throughout the entire garment prevents unnecessary rubbing.
Spec 1: Made from protective material
Spec 2: Unisex fit for men and women
Spec 3: Lightweight and anti-chafe design
This unisex rash guard boasts all sorts of protection: against UV rays, jellyfish stings, dangerous coral, and more. Not only will you be protected from a nasty sunburn, but you also don’t have to worry about any underwater creatures! This is especially helpful for those of you who like to paddle in tropical waters.
This one’s fun. If you plan on being out on the water for an entire afternoon, you’ll definitely need to hydrate! Choose a cooler bag that’s big enough to fit a water bottle and a few snacks, but small enough to stick on your board.
- Best Performance Paddle Board / Kayak Cooler: SBBC sells the best Stand Up Paddle Boards, so, we also had to make sure our paddle board coolers are of the same premium, performance-focused quality. Extremely durable, reliable, and easy to install
- Premium Paddleboard & Kayak Cooler: Paddle harder & longer knowing your Insulated Cooler is keeping your refreshing beverages ice cold and ready for a rewarding icy sip. Works with 99% of ISUPs, Paddle Boards, and Kayaks with Bungge systems
- Easy & Incredibly Reliable To Use: The SBBC Paddle Board Coolers are custom made to work with most SUPs and kayaks. The adjustable straps & steel rings create a reliable attachment so you can focus on paddling, not your cooler floating away
- Custom Designed With Durable Materials: Simple, time tested coolers made with heavy duty nylon fabric, stainless steel rings, and thick interior insulations keeps your drinks/food/bait safely secured & ice cold, ready for when you need them
Spec 1: Made from durable materials
Spec 2: Works with 99% of paddleboards
Spec 3: Reliable and easy to install
Whether you’re looking to keep your beverages and snacks on ice, or fishing bait cold, you’ll love this cooler from South Bay Board Co. This cooler was made with water enthusiasts in mind. It’s easy to install, will keep whatever you put in it cool, and features adjustable straps and steel rings. SBBC prides itself on using the best material out there.
We all have our phones on us at all times these days! They can keep us safe if we go out boarding alone, and they are also great for taking pictures and videos of the sights you see! You’ll want to buy a good quality waterproof case to make sure your phone doesn’t get damaged.
A dry bag is also a good idea. You can put other electronic devices (like a camera or a GoPro) as well as your clothing and a towel. You can even store a book to enjoy a bit of reading when you take a break from paddling!
- RELIABLE PROTECTION: We believe our earth pak dry bags are the best out there–bar none. These dry bags are meant to last for years and provide waterproof protection for even the most rugged users.
- SHOULDER STRAP: 10L & 20L dry bags come with a 24-42 Inch single shoulder strap. 30L, 40L, and 55L waterproof backpacks are equipped with backpack style shoulder straps that also come with a sternum strap for added stability. Our new 55L also comes equipped with a heavy duty waist-belt, which relieves added pressure and helps support your load.
- IPX8 CERTIFIED WATERPROOF PHONE CASE: We have included our IPX8 Certified 6.5 Inch waterproof phone case that will fit even the largest of phones. This case features a very simple snap and lock access that has dual-sided clear windows that allow to take pictures while still inside the case. Suitable for phones up to 6.5 Inches of diagonal screen size.
- IDEAL FOR TRAVEL: Our water bag is very lightweight and compact making it an essential dry bag for all your travel plans. Easy to fold and pack tight in any sized luggage!
- KEEP YOUR ITEMS DRY AND PROTECTED: Protect Your Valuables with our 5L, 10L, 20L, 30L, 40L, or 55L Dry Bags! Just toss your gear inside your water bag, roll it down, and you’re good to go on your next adventure.
Spec 1: Made from durable material made to last
Spec 2: Comfortable shoulder strap for transportation
Spec 3: Available in multiple sizes
With nearly 20,000 5-star reviews on Amazon, this waterproof dry bag from Earth Pak will keep your stuff from getting wet. Earth Pak bags are made to last. They use durable materials and the bag also features a comfortable shoulder strap – plus waist strap for heavy loads. It’s available in sizes ranging from 10L, 20L, 30L, 40L, to 50L for added convenience!
It also comes with a certified waterproof phone case so you don’t have to worry about buying one separately!
If you plan on hopping off your board to explore, do some fishing, or even go snorkeling, you’ll need a paddleboard anchor! Don’t worry about your paddleboard floating off into the distance with a quality anchor kit.
- Complete PWC anchor kit includes 3.5 lb. anchor, 25′ rope and snap hook, marker buoy and storage bag
- Anchor: Folding 3. 5 lb. grapnel anchor, ideally suited for use in coral, rocky, or heavily weeded bottom conditions
- Rope: 25′ hollow braid polythene rope with steel snap hook
- Marker Buoy: Durable marine-grade foam
- Storage Bag: Sturdy nylon storage bag with protective padding
Spec 1: Ideal for rocky or heavily weeded conditions
Spec 2: Comes with a marker buoy and storage bag
Spec 3: Inexpensive
This anchor kit from Extreme Max comes in at under $30 and is a no-brainer for us! If you want to take your paddleboard out to do some yoga, fishing, or scuba diving, you’ll need an anchor to hold your board in place. This grapnel anchor with four shanks and a 25’ long rope is ideal for rocky or sea-weedy bottom conditions. The marker buoy is also helpful!
You also don’t want to have to worry about your paddleboard floating away if you fall off! Even the most experienced paddleboarders sometimes slip and fall. In the same way that surfers use leashes to stay attached to their boards, you’ll want one for your paddle boarding adventures.
These are some of the most well-known paddleboard accessories on the market. Let’s explore some specific products that we know and love!
- MORE STRONG and SAFE: This leash is made of Super Strong 7mm urethane cord, Strong enough to handle the longest and heaviest boards, but since it is designed for flatwater paddling it is lightweight and flexible. New molded-in double Stainless Steel swivels, plus a triple wrap rail saver
- MORE COMFORTABLE AND EASY to USE: Made of TPU elastic polyurethane with soft sponge, you will forget you are wearing it. The super comfortable double over Ankle Cuff has an easy pull tab with a hidden key pocket. It is easy to attach to your board and prevents rail wear or dings
- MORE DURABLE: Connection hardware made of durable stainless steel, which can be able to resist the sea water corrosion for a very long time; you don’t need to change the surf leash frequently
- COMING with a WATERPROOF WALLET for SUPING: Specifically designed to solve the problem of your keys, wallet and phone when you get to the water. It combines an IXP8 sealable waterproof case with an easily adjustable waist belt (that can also be used as a shoulder strap) and even includes an adjustable lanyard, so the Waterproof Wallet can be worn around your waist, shoulders or neck
- AFTER-SALES SERVICE: If you meet any quality problems, please simply e-mail us the problem at any time, and we’ll take care of you and offer you a solution as soon as possible.
Spec 1: Made from strong urethane cord
Spec 2: Comfortable around the ankle
Spec 3: Comes with a waterproof wallet!
This 10’ coiled paddleboard leash is made from a heavy-duty urethane cord that is built to last. It’s strong enough to handle the heaviest paddleboards out there! The ankle strap is made from elastic polyurethane and a soft sponge, making it super comfortable to wear too. The hardware is made from stainless steel, which is able to resist corrosion brought on by saltwater. Stay connected to your board in style and comfort.
The least also comes with a complimentary waterproof wallet!
There are a few essential pieces of equipment that you need for paddleboarding. Namely, you need a stand-up paddleboard (SUP), a paddle, a personal floatation device (PFD), a pump (if you have an inflatable SUP), fins, and a leash. You can find most of these on our list above!
To stay safe while you’re boarding, you need a rescue whistle or other sound-signal device, a waterproof flashlight (if you’re going out after dark), and a personal floatation device. If you can, you should also try to have a cellphone on you at all times (in a waterproof case, of course!).
Summing up our reviews
As you can see, there are several must-have paddle board accessories out there! Consider your specific needs and then consult our list. You won’t regret investing in any of these products – they’ll make your time out on the water even more special!
Other articles that may interest you: