Excerpt: This article features fantastic wake vests that are safe, effective, stylish, as well as some great reviews of the most popular models on the market, so you can make an informed choice before you buy!
In wake sports, a vest is especially important considering the possible injuries, bumps, and bruises that come with this activity. Of course, before buying a wakeboard vest, you have to consider several factors like size, buoyancy, flotation time, and other features that will help you decide.
We looked at some reviews available on popular wakeboard vests from brands like O’Neill, Hyperlite, Ronix, SWELL, and Liquid Force. Based on our research, riders prioritize fit, US Coast Guard approval, weight, comfort, style, and material. Others consider price, breathability, and durability as well.
Read on to learn more about these factors, their importance, and some of the best wakeboard life vests with these features!
How to Select the Best Wakeboard Vest
To pick the best life vest for wakeboarding, you should take into consideration:
- Measure your chest and weight– The size of your body is an important aspect to consider when purchasing a life vest.
- Type of activity– There are several types of life vests designed for different water conditions. For wakeboarding, you need a vest that’s specifically designed to handle impacts and offer more flexibility.
- Material – Always choose a life vest that is made of high-quality and durable materials.
- User reviews – User reviews are often helpful when making a purchase to ensure you are buying a product worth the money.
Best Wakeboard Vests for Men and Women in 2022
O’Neill is a renowned company that specializes in producing high-quality water sports gear, including life vests. This model features a lightweight and flexible design, and it has adjustable arm straps that provide additional comfort during use. It is made of quality foam, and the outer cover is made of nylon. The straps are designed so they could be folded to provide additional comfort during transport.
- “This is a great life jacket for me. A 6 foot tall man weighing in at an astounding 215 lbs.”
- “Needed a reasonably priced wakeboard vest for a kid that won’t stop growing. Works great. Fits great.”
Hyperlite is a company that specializes in water sports equipment and apparel, including life vests. This model features secure belt loops and PVC buckles, so you can rely on it during your water activities. The CGA construction is made of high-quality materials, and this feature ensures ultimate safety for your back.
- “Best Hyperlite vest in my opinion. Great vest and very comfortable.”
- “Fit & finish are excellent. The way this life jacket is made fits the body curves better than other jackets I’ve tried on. Excellent quality, you get what you pay for.”
This vest does not have the same flotation as an approved US Coast Guard vest. This vest should not be worn by beginner wakeboarders. However, it is less bulky and therefore, a popular choice for competition wakeboarding. It features a durable nylon construction and a front-zip design, making it easy to put on and take off.
- “This has saved me from numerous hard falls and from getting the wind knocked out of me. Love it for learning spins and inverts on a wakeboard. The design is pretty sweet and very low profile, no eccentric color design to turn heads but looks bougie.”
- “Best vest I’ve had. I’d buy it again and just might for my riders on the wakeboard.”
Liquid Force is a famous brand in the water sports industry, and it produces high-quality products for wakeboarding. This model is approved by the CGA, and it features a durable nylon construction. The front zipper design makes it easy to use, while increased ridges provide additional security when you fall.
- “Great fitting life jacket. I wanted CGA but like the comp vests. This is a good CGA option.”
- “Excellent vest for wakeboarding and wake surfing. Super comfortable.”
Another model from this trusted brand, this life vest has received the approval of the US Coast Guard. It features a durable nylon construction and it is available in a wide range of sizes. It has been specially designed to provide ultra-comfort without sacrificing compactness and mobility, with the solid back panel and inflatable chambers that provide additional buoyancy.
- “It’s definitely lightweight, drains extremely fast, looks great and I often forget I’m wearing it. It’s like a competition vest but this one is USCG approved.”
- “This jacket doesn’t try to come up over my head when I hit the water after wakeboarding, skiiing or just floating in the water. Definitely recommended!”
While this vest is not approved by the US Coast Guard, it is a popular choice for competition wakeboarding. It features a durable foam and neoprene construction and has been designed to withstand hard impacts. It is available in a wide range of colors and sizes, while the zipper closure ensures reliable security.
- “It’s sleek, with a slim fit. Provides maximum movement capability for executing those sick tantrums!”
- “The perfect anatomical design and materials provide a comfortable but snug fit that molds perfectly to the shape of your body without leaving you feeling restricted.”
This life vest is approved by the CGA, and it features stretchable padding that provides compression. It has been specially designed to provide additional durability, while being extremely comfortable. The stretchable neoprene construction is designed to provide additional mobility.
- “Good vest I like it! More cream colored in person. It gets dirty easy but isn’t hard to clean.”
- “Cool and awesome. Floats like a charm.”
This new CGA vest from Hyperlite features increased back protection, while being comfortable and reliable. It is built for bigger people who want unrestricted mobility and a leveled-up design.
- “Super comfortable. I’m 6’6 and 270 lbs, and the 3XL fit absolutely perfectly. Super comfy with a good solid zipper and secure straps. Doesn’t feel too heavy or boggy in the water as well.”
- “I have been looking for a neoprene vest for a very long time and there seemed to be no one who had one large enough for me. I found this and it looks, feels and works great! These are true to size! I am already recommending it to my X-large friends! Great product.”
Mystic’s improved version of the VOLTT has smooth lines for a polished appearance, clash foam for protection from impact, and extra NBR foam to safeguard your back. This CGA approved vest features a front zipper, fully adjustable waist and shoulder belts, and durable neoprene construction.
- “Tailored fit- dries quickly – looks great and performs – index liner is very comfortable.”
- “The jacket is very light and the materials are great. This jacket is definitely the nicest life jacket I’ve ever had.”
Summing it up
As a wakeboarder, you need to make sure that your life vest or other water equipment offers not only great value for money but also reliability and outstanding performance.
To make sure you choose the best wakeboard vest for your needs, check out the list above and take a closer look at each product. You can also read more reviews to find out what fellow riders have to say about the products before you hit add to cart! If you’re a beginner rider, check out our list of the best wakesurf boards.